This Autumn Harvest Grain Salad is the best fall salad! It's a blend of Trader Joe's Harvest Grains combined with fall-inspired ingredients like butternut squash, cranberries, pecans, and apples. Toss with a vibrant orange dressing for a flavorful side or lunch.
▶︎Looking for more delicious autumn recipes? Try out...
What is Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Blend?
This is a grain and pasta mixture from Trader Joe's that contains pearled couscous, orzo, split baby garbanzo beans, and red quinoa. The great part of this blend is that it is ready in just 10 minutes.
This is available at most Trader Joe's stores. You can also see it listed on Amazon.
▶︎For another great Trader Joe's recipe try out this Trader Joe's Thai Yellow Tofu Curry!
How do I cook Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Blend?
This blend is cooking over the stove in just 10 minutes. It tastes best when cooked in vegetable broth which gives it a lot of flavor.
For each 1 ¼ cup of Harvest Grain Blend, add 1 ¾ cup water or broth. Bring the broth to a boil then add the Harvest blend (optional add in 1 tablespoon of butter). Bring back to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Other ingredient notes:
- Butternut Squash: It's easiest to get pre-cut butternut squash from your refrigerator section in your grocery store. It will save you a lot of time peeling and chopping!
- Dried cranberries: These all a little sweetness to the dish. I recommend getting the "No sugar added" variety to decrease the sugar content in the dish.
See recipe card for full ingredient list and quantities.
Step 1: In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add in butternut squash cubes and season with a little salt and pepper. Sauté for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Step 2: In a large pot, begin heating vegetable broth and add Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Blend. Cook to package instructions.
Step 3: Whisk together the dressing in a small bowl.
This blend is versatile and can be transformed with the addition of different types of vegetables such as roasted sweet potatoes, butternut squash, broccoli and more. You can also add in greens such as sauteed chopped kale or spinach. Add in some plant-powered protein like crispy chickpeas or other beans, toasted nuts, seeds, and more. Add more flavor by making a simple vinaigrette with olive oil, balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, a touch of maple syrup, garlic, salt & pepper, or whatever other flavors you like.
This blend contains a mixture of pasta, beans, and grains that are high in fiber and plant-based protein to keep you full longer. It is low in fat but higher in carbohydrates.
Easily! You can add lots of plant-based protein options like chickpeas, white beans, lentils, tofu cubes, vegan chicken, and more. Sprinkle some hemp seeds on top for more protein as well.
Store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
You can also only pour dressing on the portion of the salad you are eating at that time so that it lasts longer and is less likely to become mushy as it sits.
🍴What to Serve with Autumn Harvest Grain Salad
This salad can be served on its only as a lunch but is also a great pairing with lots of main meals for your fall dinner.
Serve it with...
- A cozy soup, stew, or curry (like my Nourishing Lentil Barley Soup or Creamy Carrot Tomato Soup)
- Barley Stuffed Peppers
- A wrap or sandwich (like this Crunchy Kale Caesar Wrap or 10-Minute Tempeh Sandwich)
- A bowl of cozy Vegan White Bean Chili
- Other delicious Thanksgiving sides like my Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- I highly recommend cooking your Harvest Grain Blend in vegetable broth. It adds so much flavor to this dish!
- I find it's easiest to get pre-cut butternut squash for this recipe (you can find it in the refrigerator section at the grocery store. You can also buy a butternut squash and cut it into small cubes and use the extra in this Fall Farro Salad with butternut squash or these butternut squash fries!
- Enjoy this dish warm or chilled in the fridge for a few hours.
⇨ Other Fall Favorites⇦
♡ Did you love this recipe? ♡
Leave a ⭐️rating and ✏️comment below (I love to read them!) Tag us on Instagram with a photo or video of your dish 📸 @naturallieplantbased.
Subscribe for more delicious recipes!
Autumn Harvest Grain Salad (Trader Joe's Recipe)
- chopped parsley
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add in butternut squash cubes and season with a little salt and pepper. Sauté for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.2 cups diced butternut squash*, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large pot, begin heating vegetable broth and add Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Blend. Cook to package instructions.16 oz Trader Joe's harvest grain blend
- Whisk together the dressing in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, toss together all the ingredients of the salad with the dressing and serve. You can also dress only portions of the salad and refrigerate the rest in an airtight container. Add salt and pepper to taste.3 tablespoon orange juice, 2 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional: sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Want to make this your main entree? Need more protein in this dish? You can add lots of plant-based protein options like chickpeas, white beans, lentils, tofu cubes, vegan chicken, and more. Sprinkle some hemp seeds on top for more protein as well.