Delicious and moist vegan coffee cake muffins are just like the cake, but mini! They're sweet and soft with a cinnamon sugar layer, buttery, crispy streusel topping and drizzle of icing. These muffins are the perfect addition to your morning routine or as an afternoon snack.
I've always loved coffee cake as a kid and of course just like anyone else- the coffee cake streusel topping is my favorite part. I dreamed of making these vegan coffee cake muffins because it's an easy on-the-go breakfast or snack. They definitely did not disappoint! They are fluffy, soft, cinnamon-y with vanilla, and have the best streusel topping I have ever made.
If you want more delicious vegan coffee cake recipes try out my Vegan Blueberry Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze.
▶︎For more, check out these delicious vegan raspberry muffins from The Vegan Larder!
What are coffee cake muffins?
A coffee cake muffin is a type of muffin that is flavored with ingredients that are commonly found in coffee cakes, such as cinnamon, sugar, and nuts. They often topped with a streusel topping made from a mixture of flour, sugar, and butter. Coffee cake muffins are often served as a breakfast or brunch item, or as a sweet snack. They are often enjoyed with a cup of coffee and/or tea.
How to Make Vegan Coffee Cake Muffins
- Start by making your streusel topping and placing in the fridge.
- In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients and then add your wet ingredients. Mix well
- In a lined muffin tin, fill <½ full of batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mix and top with more batter.
- Sprinkle of streusel topping.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Optional: drizzle with icing for the perfect treat.
You may also want to add other ingredients to your muffins, such as chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit. Experiment with different flavors and ingredients to find your perfect vegan coffee cake muffin.
- All-purpose flour: Use whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend such as King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour.
- Vegetable oil: Use melted coconut oil or any other neutral-flavored oil.
- Vegan sour cream: Use unsweetened almond yogurt.
- For the streusel topping, you can use any type of sugar you have on hand, and you can use any type of vegan butter or margarine.
- If you don't have ground cinnamon, you can use any other spice that you like, such as nutmeg, allspice, or ginger.
Remember that these are just suggestions, and you can always experiment with different ingredients and flavors to create your own unique vegan coffee cake muffins.
- Add other ingredients such as chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or fruit for a new flavor of coffee cake muffin!
- Want your muffin to have more "spice?" Add in some ground nutmeg, allspice, or ginger with your cinnamon for a spiced coffee cake muffin.
- Eat these vegan coffee cake muffins in the first few days of baking for the most moist, delicious muffin! Over time they become more dry and not as tasty.
Looking for some delicious dessert? Try out my gooey Vegan Hot Chocolate Cookies!
♡ Did you love this recipe? ♡
Leave a ⭐️rating and ✏️comment below (I love to read them!) Tag us on Instagram with a photo or video of your dish 📸 @naturallieplantbased.
Subscribe for more delicious recipes!
Fluffy Vegan Coffee Cake Muffins
Coffee Cake Muffins
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Start by making your streusel topping in a medium size bowl. Mix all your ingredients and then place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk your dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add in your wet ingredients to dry: coconut oil, non-dairy milk, vanilla, and sour cream. Stir until combined.
- Make your cinnamon sugar layer in a small bowl by mixing brown sugar with cinnamon.
- Line your muffin pan with cupcake liners. Begin spooning batter into your muffin tin until it's only half full.
- Spoon ~1-2 teaspoon of brown sugar cinnamon mix on top of batter and spread an even layer.
- Top the sugar cinnamon mix with more batter.
- Sprinkle on your chilled streusel topping (Be generous with the topping- This is one of the best parts of the muffin!)
- Bake for 16-18 min until toothpick comes out clean.
- To make optional icing just mix together powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over your cooled muffin before eating.
- You can omit the icing if you want it to be less sweet.
- Substitute vegan sour cream with vegan unsweetened yogurt (such as almond).
- Enjoy these vegan coffee cake muffins within the first few days of baking for the most delicious, moist muffin. Store in air-tight container for up to 4 days.