Try the BEST vegan red lentil curry with sweet potato that can be made in one pot. This comforting and flavorful dish is perfect for a cozy meal at home. It can be customized with your favorite vegetables or sides such as basmati rice or garlic naan.
Are Red Lentils Healthy?
Red lentils are an excellent source of plant-based protein, making them a great option for vegans and vegetarians. They are also high in fiber, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied. In addition, red lentils are a good source of several essential vitamins and minerals, including folate, iron, and magnesium.
What Goes Well with Red Lentils?
Red lentils go well with a variety of ingredients. In this recipe, they are paired with sweet potato for a hearty and satisfying dish. Other ingredients that go well with red lentils include:
- Tomatoes: Red lentils and tomatoes are a classic combination. Add some canned tomatoes to your curry for a tangy and flavorful addition.
- Garlic and ginger: These aromatic ingredients add depth and warmth to the curry.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk adds richness and creaminess to the curry.
- Spinach: Add some fresh spinach to your curry for a pop of color and nutrition.
- Cilantro: Cilantro adds a fresh and fragrant flavor to the dish.
For another cozy, flavorful dish try out my Creamy Tomato Gnocchi Soup!
How to Make This Curry
- Sauté garlic and ginger in a large pan or pot.
- Add sweet potatoes and spices.
- Add crushed tomatoes, red lentils, veggie broth and lime juice and bring to boil then simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk.
- Top with cilantro and enjoy!
Can I Make Vegan Red Lentil Curry in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can easily make this vegan red lentil curry in an Instant Pot. Sauté the garlic, ginger, sweet potatoes and spices as directed in the recipe. Then add all of the ingredients (except coconut milk) to the Instant Pot and cook on the soup setting for about 20 minutes. The Instant Pot will do all of the work for you, resulting in a delicious and healthy meal in no time.
Can I Add Other Vegetables to This Curry?
Absolutely! This curry is a great way to use up any vegetables you have on hand. Some delicious vegetables to add to this curry include:
- Carrots: Carrots add a sweet and crunchy texture to the curry.
- Bell peppers: Bell peppers add a pop of color and a slightly sweet flavor.
- Peas: Peas add a burst of freshness and a pop of color.
- Broccoli: Broccoli adds a hearty and nutritious element to the dish.
HOW TO MAKE THE DELICIOUS INDIAN BASMATI RICE:
For 3 cups cooked basmati rice use 1 cup of uncooked rice.
- Rinse your rice thoroughly under cold water.
- In a medium size pot, heat over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Add in 2 tsp cumin seeds and toast in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add in rinsed rice and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally to toast the rice.
- Add 1 tsp whole cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, fluff, and keep covered until ready to eat (will fluff up more with cover on).
How to store red lentil curry with sweet potato
Let the curry cool to room temperature. Transfer it to an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. The curry will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, simply transfer the desired amount of curry to a saucepan and heat it over medium heat until warmed through. You can also microwave the curry in a microwave-safe dish until heated through. Be sure to stir the curry well before serving to distribute the heat evenly.
If you don’t have red lentils on hand, you can use another type of lentil in this red lentil curry with sweet potato. Brown lentils or green lentils would work well in this recipe. Just keep in mind that the cooking time may vary slightly depending on the type of lentil you use.
You can also use another type of potato in this curry, such as regular white potatoes or yams. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Finally, you can use any type of vegetable you like in this curry, such as carrots, bell peppers, peas, or broccoli. The possibilities are endless!
Why you’ll love this vegan red lentil curry
- It’s a one–pot meal that is easy to throw together in about 40 minutes (with most of that being cook time!)
- It’s vegan, plant–based, dairy–free, and gluten free to appease many dietary needs.
- It’s a healthy, nutrient-packed meal with red lentils, tomatoes, and lots of spices.
The Best Vegan Red Lentil Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 oz)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic,
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger,
- 3 cups diced sweet potato
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 15 oz. can coconut milk (full-fat)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cilantro for topping
- In a large pot or dutch oven, begin by heating your oil over medium heat.
- Add in garlic and ginger and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add in your diced sweet potato and all the spices and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes until spices become aromatic and sweet potatoes are beginning to brown.
- Next add in your red lentils, veggie broth, lime, maple syrup, peanut butter, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then simmer for ~20-25 minutes, covered. Taste test your sweet potatoes and lentils to ensure doneness.
- Pour in coconut milk (3/4 of can) and reserve the rest for topping if desired.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with basmati rice or garlic naan.
- Let the curry cool to room temperature before storing. Transfer it to an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. The curry will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.