These soft peanut butter banana oatmeal bars are sweet and delicious with melty mini chocolate chips and a peanut butter drizzle. They are perfect for breakfast or snack!
These are my favorite oat bars of all time! I love the mixture of the salty peanut butter, chewy oats, sweet banana and chocolate chips. They're so good you won't want to have just one (I definitely didn't!). Eat these bars for breakfast, a post workout snack, healthy dessert, or an easy snack in the afternoon.
Our Favorite Sweet Breakfasts
- Old-fashioned oats: These type of oats create the perfect chewy texture and I don't recommend substituting with quick oats or steel cut oats.
- Bananas: Use 2 ripe med-large bananas for this recipe. They can be slightly overripe if you want a sweeter banana oatmeal bar.
- Peanut Butter: Use creamy peanut butter (natural, unsalted). If you are using salted peanut butter, omit the salt in the recipe. You could also try crunchy peanut butter for texture in these bars!
- Ground Flaxseed: This not only helps bind the ingredients, but it also adds some natural omega's to the healthy oatmeal bars!
- Plant milk: Use a plant-milk such as soy or almond. I recommend unsweetened unless you want slightly sweeter bars.
- Maple Syrup: You don't need a lot of maple syrup to give these bars a subtle caramelized sweetness. If you don't have maple syrup you can use agave or honey if you're not vegan.
- Chocolate Chips: I love mini dark chocolate chips in this recipe! You can use regular sized ones as well. For a dairy-free chocolate chip I use Enjoy Life brand. If you want a healthier breakfast bar you can omit the chocolate chips.
- Cinnamon: Because who doesn't love a little cinnamon with their oats? If you want another delicious recipe with cinnamon try out these cinnamon roll overnight oats!
- Vanilla Extract: A subtle vanilla flavor melds well with the sweetness of the bars
- Salt: A small amount of salt balances the sweet flavors.
- Medium mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Wooden Spoon
- 8x8 glass baking dish
How to Make Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars
Step 1: Start by preheating your oven to 350 F. In a large bowl add in bananas and mash until there are no large lumps.
*I've found using a potato masher works amazing for mashing bananas.
Step 2: Add in other wet ingredients to the mashed bananas: non-dairy milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and peanut butter. Mix until combined.
Step 3. Add in dry ingredients: oats, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
Step 4: Fold in chocolate chips.
Step 5: In a parchment-lined prepared baking pan press oatmeal mixture in evenly using a spoon.
*If you don't have parchment paper you can use non-stick cooking spray
Step 6: Bake oatmeal bars for ~25 minutes. The cooked bars will still be slightly soft but have a golden brown top. Let sit for 30 minutes before cutting. Drizzle warmed peanut butter on top if desired.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container with parchment paper between each bar.
Reheating: Reheat the bar in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or until center is warm.
Yes, almond butter is an easy swap in this recipe if you don't like peanut butter or just want a new flavor!
Sunflower butter would also be a delicious swap in these bars too for a nut-free bar.
Yes, you can freeze these bars. Once the bars have cooled completely, cut them into squares and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Separate each layer of bars with a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together.
When ready to eat, let them thaw to room temperature for at least 30 minutes before eating (you may still need to pop in the microwave for a few seconds- these bars taste best warm!)
Yes, you can use quick oats but they have a different texture that old-fashioned oats. The bars will likely be softer and less chewy.
There are lots of fun additions for these bars!
Nuts: walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds or almonds for a crunch
Fruit: blueberries, raspberries, or cherries for fun new flavor
Seeds: chia, hemp, pumpkin, and more!
- Use overripe bananas for sweeter bars.
- Let your bars cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- These bars taste the BEST warmed up! Heat it up in the microwave for 10-15 seconds before eating and drizzle on some more peanut butter.
- If you want to make these bars even healthier, omit the maple syrup and chocolate chips. Use bananas that are overripe to add natural sweetness.
Try out these other tasty breakfasts or snacks:
▶︎Love oats? Try out these Creamy Apple Pie Overnight Oats!
♡ Did you love this recipe? ♡
Leave a ⭐️rating and ✏️comment below (I love to read them!) Tag us on Instagram with a photo or video of your dish 📸 @naturallieplantbased.
Subscribe for more delicious recipes!
Chewy & Soft Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars
- 2 large bananas mashed (~ 1 cup mashed) Use overripe bananas for a sweeter bar
- ½ cup peanut butter unsalted (if salted decrease amount of salt below)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk such as almond or soy
- 2 ½ cups old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips dairy-free (can substitute for regular sized chocolate chips)
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 F. In a large bowl add in bananas and mash until there are no large lumps.
- Add in other wet ingredients: non-dairy milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and peanut butter. Mix until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients: oats, ground flaxseed, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- In a parchment lined 8x8 glass pan spread mixture evenly.
- Bake for ~25 minutes. Mixture will still be slightly soft but will become firmer as it sits. Let rest for 30 minutes before cutting.
- Drizzle with warmed peanut butter if desired.
- Nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc)
- Fruit (blueberries, raspberries, etc) -- Like a PB & J bar!
- Seeds (chia, hemp, etc)
- I use Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips in this recipe.
- You can omit the chocolate chips if you want a healthier bar.
- You can use overripe bananas for sweeter bars.
- Reheat your bar before eating for 10-15 seconds in the microwave.