This mango avocado salsa is the most refreshing appetizer that takes no time at all! It's a great summer appetizer with creamy avocado, juicy mangoes, and fresh lime. Serve this poolside or at a summer BBQ and I guarantee it will be a hit!
Forget store-bought salsa...this avocado mango salsa is refreshing, quick, and tastes way better than anything from a jar.
It's my favorite way to use fresh mangos (or when you have lots of extra ripe avocados lying around - thank you Costco).
I guarantee this will be the top appetizer at your summer party, poolside, Cinco de Mayo, or a BBQ. Dig in with a crispy, salt tortilla chip and you will be hooked!
- Avocado: You just need two large avocados for this recipe. Make sure to choose a ripe avocado that is slightly soft.
- Mango: You only need one large ripe mango for this recipe.
▶︎Do you have some extra mango? Try this refreshing Mango Mousse! To make it vegan just substitute with coconut cream instead of heavy cream.
- Red onion: Finely dice the red onion for this recipe. Red onion tastes the best, but you can also use sweet onion if that is all you have.
- Fresh lime juice: I highly recommend fresh juice. This recipe uses ¼ cup lime juice which is ~ 2 limes.
- Cilantro: Optional, but compliments the refreshing flavors well.
- Salt & pepper: Optional, and in my opinion, my needed. Some people like just a small pinch of salt and pepper to bring out the flavor more.
🌶Other Delicious Additions
This mango avocado salsa is easily customizable!
- Add in other veg such as diced red bell pepper (or orange or yellow!) or diced cherry tomatoes
- Add some spice like diced jalopeño pepper (or even a spoonful or spicy salsa made from tomatoes)
🔪How to Cut a Mango
If you've never cut a mango into cubes before, it can be a little tricky at first. Follow these steps to make it easy.
- First make sure you wash the mango.
- Hold the mango vertically on the cutting board (stem end up). The pit is oval-shaped and in the center of the fruit. Make a vertical cut down that is slightly off-center from the middle of the fruit, sliding down along one one side of the pit.
- Repeat this on the other side.
- Take one mango half and score the flesh in a crosshatch pattern (don't cut through the skin).
- Push on the skin side from the center so the mango cubes "pop out". Use your knife to slice off these cubes into your bowl. Repeat this with the other side.
Step 1: Start by dicing up your avocado, mango (see above for tips), and onion. Add to a medium size bowl.
Step 2: Squeeze the fresh lime juice on top and gently stir until combined.
Step 3: At this time you can add cilantro if desired.
Step 4: Serve right away with tortilla chips (or chill for 1-2 hour if desired).
⭐️If you love mangos, you will love my Mango Fried Rice that is a quick, tasty meal ready in 15 minutes!
The most reliable way to check for ripeness is by gently pressing the avocado. A ripe avocado will yield slightly to gentle pressure, like pressing on the pad of your thumb. It should feel soft but not mushy. You can also check the stem. If the stem comes off easily and you see green underneath, it's likely ripe. If it's difficult to remove or you see brown underneath, it may be overripe.
Similar to an avocado, you will know a mango is ripe with it is slightly soft but not mushy to the touch. Sometimes ripe mangos can also give off a fruity scent.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days. The lime should keep it from browning. However, this is best enjoyed the day of.
- If you want a little spice, add in 1 small jalopeño, finely diced to your mango avocado salsa.
- Try to dice the mango and avocado into evenly sized pieces. This not only looks appealing but also ensures a balanced bite with each scoop.
⇨Summer Favorites You will Love!⇦
▶︎Serve this salsa with a main dish - these Mexican Chickpeas are simmered in a creamy, Mexican-inspired chipotle chili sauce that is to die for!
♡ Did you love this recipe? ♡
Leave a ⭐️rating and ✏️comment below (I love to read them!) Tag us on Instagram with a photo or video of your dish 📸 @naturallieplantbased.
Subscribe for more delicious recipes!
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 2 medium avocados* ripe, cubed ~1 inch pieces
- 1 large mango ripe, cubed ~1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice ~2 limes
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro optional
- salt or pepper to taste optional
- Add diced avocado, mango, and red onion to a medium size bowl. (Optional: add in chopped cilantro)
- Squeeze the fresh lime on top and gently stir with a spoon.
- Enjoy right away with tortilla chips.
- If you want a little spice, add in 1 small jalopeño, finely diced.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days. The lime juice will keep it from browning. I recommend enjoying this recipe the day of for the freshest salsa.