These flavorful vegan egg muffins are an easy breakfast that's great for on-the-go! It has a similar eggy taste and texture, without the need for any eggs. These are easily customizable with various fresh veggies.
I love anything mini and these vegan egg muffins are essentially like mini frittatas! They're fun to make and you can even double the batch to have more leftovers for the week. They contain wholesome ingredients like tofu, fresh veggies, and spices to give it that eggy taste.
▶︎Want some more vegan breakfast ideas? Try out...
- Extra firm tofu: This is the "egg" in our vegan egg muffin. You will blend it with lots of spices and mix in some veggies to create the egg mixture.
- Black salt (Kala namak): This is what gives the eggy flavor to our vegan egg muffins. This can be found at Indian grocery stores or on Amazon. I also use black salt in my vegan breakfast sandwiches and delicious tofu scramble.
- Nutritional yeast: This provides a slight cheesiness to the vegan egg muffins.
- Vegan cheese: The addition of just a little vegan feta gives these muffins a lot more flavor! You could also use a vegan cheddar for a different flavor.
- Vegetables: For these vegan egg muffins add your veggies of choice. In total, you want between 1-1.5 cups of cooked veggies. Mix and match with some colorful veggies. You can use a leafy greens like spinach or kale, vibrant red veggies like sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, or savory veggies like onions or mushrooms.
See recipe card for full ingredient list and quantities.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 F.
To a food processor, add you extra firm tofu. Add nutritional yeast, turmeric powder, black salt, onion powder, garlic powder, regular iodized salt, and black pepper to the crumbled tofu. Blend until smooth.
Step 2: In a skillet, heat a little bit of olive oil over medium heat. Add the finely chopped vegetables and sauté until they are slightly tender to your liking.
Step 3: Combine the sautéed vegetables with the seasoned tofu mixture in a large bowl. Mix until well incorporated. If using vegan feta, fold it into the tofu and vegetable mixture.
Step 4: Grease a muffin tin or line it with paper liners. Spoon the tofu and vegetable mixture into each muffin cup, pressing it down slightly. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
Step 5: Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool for a 5-10 minutes before removing from pan. Garnish with fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley or green onions. Serve warm and enjoy!
The vegetable options are endless including (but not limited to) bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, kale, cherry peppers, jalapeños, sun-dried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts. You can also add in vegan meats like vegan ham or vegan sausage.
Yes, you can freeze vegan egg muffins. Allow them to cool completely, then store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. To reheat, simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight and warm in the oven or microwave.
Vegan egg muffins can last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container.
Yes, you can reheat vegan egg muffins. Microwave them for about 30 seconds to 1 minute or warm them in the oven at a low temperature until heated through.
- Ensure you press the tofu well to remove excess water. This helps achieve a firmer texture in the final vegan egg muffin.
- Add ingredients like plant-based sausage, vegan bacon, or vegan ham for a savory, delicious breakfast!
- Pair your vegan egg muffins with a delicious sauce like salsa, hot sauce, or a vegan hollandaise for extra flavor.
⇨ Other Delicious Breakfasts ⇦
♡ Did you love this recipe? ♡
Leave a ⭐️rating and ✏️comment below (I love to read them!) Tag us on Instagram with a photo or video of your dish 📸 @naturallieplantbased.
Subscribe for more delicious recipes!
Vegan Egg Muffins
- 1 block extra firm tofu drained and pressed
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder for color
- ¼ teaspoon black salt kala namak for an eggy flavor (adjust to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon regular salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1.5 cups cooked mixed vegetables of choice (I used ½ cup diced onion, ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, and heaping cup of spinach* see below for more ideas)
- ¼ cup vegan feta crumbles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh herbs chives, parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- To a food processor, add you extra firm tofu. Add nutritional yeast, turmeric powder, black salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper to the crumbled tofu. Blend until smooth.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the finely chopped vegetables and sauté until they are slightly tender to your liking. Season with salt to taste
- Combine the sautéed vegetables with the seasoned tofu mixture in a large bowl. Mix until well incorporated. If using vegan cheese, fold it into the tofu and vegetable mixture.
- Grease a muffin tin or line it with paper liners. Spoon the tofu and vegetable mixture into each muffin cup, pressing it down slightly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool for a few minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs, such as chives or parsley. Serve warm and enjoy!