This easy buffalo chickpea bowl can be prepped in just 10 minutes and is packed with crispy buffalo chickpeas, roasted cauliflower, fluffy quinoa, crisp romaine, crunchy carrots, creamy avocado and vegan ranch dressing. It's perfect for meal prep for lunches or dinner!
Why you'll love this recipe
- 10 minute prep!
- Flavorful, spicy, and savory- you will love these flavors together.
- Healthy ingredients with plant-based protein from the chickpeas and quinoa
- An easy meal prep recipe perfect for lunches or dinner
I have always loved buffalo sauce in many forms- buffalo cauliflower wings, buffalo hummus, buffalo dip... the list goes on! I created this bowl for an easy meal with delicious buffalo flavors. If you like little spice, you need to try this recipe. And if you don't, try using a mild buffalo sauce that isn't spicy! If you're a buffalo sauce lover, you need to try my Buffalo Tofu Wrap with an Easy Vegan Ranch.
This buffalo chickpea bowl recipe is similar to a buddha bowl (a bowl of various grains, proteins, veggies, and a sauce).
Other great ways to enjoy chickpeas:
- Buffalo Sauce: Choose one based on your spice level preference. If you want it spicier get Frank's Red Hot regular buffalo sauce. If you want it mild you can find Mild buffalo sauce like this one here.
- Vegan Ranch Dressing of choice : You can find this at many grocery stores in the refrigerated section. Follow Your Heart has a tasty one. You can also make your own Healthy Vegan Ranch in just 5 minutes!
How to Make Buffalo Chickpea Bowl
- Start by preheating your oven to 425F.
- Heat your water to begin cooking your quinoa.
- In a bowl combined your chickpeas with buffalo sauce and spices and stir well.
- In another bowl add your cauliflower with olive oil and spices and mix well.
- On a parchment lined sheet, add chickpeas on one side and cauliflower on the other. Place in oven for 20 minutes, stir half-way through.
- Prep your romaine, carrots, and avocado while you wait.
- Prepare your bowl: quinoa, crispy chickpeas, cauliflower, chopped romaine, and carrots. Drizzle with vegan ranch and top with avocado. Optional: squeeze. a lime on top!
Tips to Make the Best Quinoa
- Let your quinoa toast over medium heat for 5 minutes before adding water. It will improve the nutty flavor of the quinoa.
- Cook your quinoa with vegetable broth for a deeper flavor.
- Fluff your quinoa with a fork after its cooked to help the grains "breathe"and improve the fluffiness of the quinoa
Are chickpeas healthy?
Chickpeas are a healthy component of this buffalo chickpea bowl. They are packed with plant-based protein (12g per cup!) and high in fiber with helps with digestion and promotion of a healthy gut.
Is buffalo sauce healthy?
Buffalo sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot) contains simple ingredients like cayenne, vinegar, water, salt, and garlic powder. Studies have shown that capsaicin, a compound found in peppers, has been shown to relieve pain, increase weight loss, and reduce inflammation. It is higher in salt so it is good to consume in moderation. In this buffalo chickpea bowl only 2 tablespoon is used to create a delicious spicy buffalo flavor.
Is this bowl gluten-free?
This buffalo chickpea bowl is gluten free, dairy free, and vegan! It works for many dietary needs to satisfy anybody.
- If you don't have quinoa, try brown or white rice.
- Substitute cauliflower for broccoli for a variation in veggie and texture.
- Don't like spicy buffalo? Try getting a mild buffalo sauce that has minimal spice! Here is a mild sauce you may like.
How to Store
To store your buffalo chickpea bowls you can make individual meal prep glass containers with all the ingredients except the romaine, carrots, avocado, and sauce (store that in a separate bag/container). It's easy to reheat in the microwave for 45-60 seconds then top with your fresh ingredients.
I do not recommend storing the in the freezer.
- Save time on this buffalo chickpea bowl try pre-cooking your quinoa. It stores well in the fridge for up to 5 days!
- If you want even crispier chickpeas let them cook for up to 40 minutes (stirring every 10-15 minutes).
- Some other great toppings: cilantro, fresh lime juice, or fresh diced tomatoes.
- Make this into a buffalo chickpea salad by omitting the quinoa and adding the base as only chopped romaine or spinach
Buffalo Chickpea Bowl
- 1 ½ cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups water can substitute vegetable broth for more flavor
Crispy Buffalo Chickpeas
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 avocado sliced
- Vegan ranch dressing of choice Homemade or storebought*
- Optional toppings: Cilantro, fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Begin cooking your quinoa to package instructions. See tips for best way to cook quinoa below!
Prepare Chickpeas & Cauliflower
- In a medium bowl, mix together your drained, rinsed, and DRIED chickpeas with buffalo sauce and spices. Stir until combined.
- In another bowl, mix together your chopped cauliflower with olive and spices. Stir until combined.
Roast Chickpeas & Cauliflower
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, add chickpeas on one side and cauliflower on another. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through until crispy and slightly browned.
- Make your buffalo chickpea bowl by adding your cooked quinoa, buffalo chickpeas, roasted cauliflower, chopped romaine, and matchstick carrots to a large shallow bowl.
- Top with sliced avocado and drizzle with vegan ranch.