These apple rose pastries are almost too beautiful to eat! It's the cutest fall dessert that will impress your friends or family, but actually they are not that hard to make. They are perfect for your next fall or winter holiday gathering!
Ingredients for Apple Rose Pastries
- 1 sheet of Puff Pastry (will make 3 apple roses): Make sure to thaw this ahead of time or you will spend a lot of time waiting for your puff pastry to be ready.
- 1 large Apple: Sliced into thin pieces
- Cinnamon: Will combine with sugar to create a cinnamon sugar sprinkle over the apples
- Sugar: White granulated sugar works great!
- Vegan Butter: I love Earth Balance
- Powdered Sugar: Optional but creates a beautiful dusting over the apples
- White Flour: Used to keep the puff pastry from sticking
What occasion could I make these?
This would be great for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, or a regular gathering with friends or family.
Can I double this recipe to make more roses?
Yes, you definitely can! You can buy a few boxes of puff pastry and could make quite a few of these especially once you have all the ingredients prepped.
What kitchen tools do I need?
- Cutting board
- Small Bowls
- Rolling Pin
- Cupcake Tin
- Pizza cutter
This recipe is:
- Perfect for breakfast or dessert
Apple Rose Pastries
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 1-2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 large apple, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (melted) + more for lining the baking dish (unmelted)
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Powdered sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Make sure puff pastry is completely thawed.
- Begin by slicing your apple into thin slices. Place on microwave safe plate and microwave for 45 seconds or until apples are more limp and bendable.
- On the counter or a cutting board, lay down some white flour. Lay out puff pastry and roll out so puff pastry is about ⅛” thick and approximately 10”x12 or slightly bigger if possible. Using a pizza cutter, slice off the edges of the puff pastry that are uneven. Slice into three strips that are about 3-4” wide and 10” long.
- Paint some of the melted butter on each piece of puff pastry in the center on the strip Lay out the apple slices so that the rounded portion is peaking just slightly out of the top of the pastry. Layer on about 5-6 apples in a line (See picture above for clarification on how to line up apples).
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar over apples and puff pastry. Fold over the lower half of the puff pastry over the apples.
- At one end begin rolling the pastry dough until your rose is formed. Stretch and tuck the end of the dough around the pastry.
- Place in a buttered baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the perfect golden color forms. Watch carefully at the end to make sure they don't burn!
- Allow to sit for 5 min on cooling rack before sprinkling with powdered sugar and eating. They can last 1-2 days in an air tight container and reheated in an oven 400F for 5-8 min.