You will love these easy vegan steamer recipes that have a fast cook time, loads of flavor, and are great for a weeknight meal or side dish. Let's get steaming!
Steaming is a cooking process that uses the vapor of boiling water to heat and cook food. Generally this method of cooking is used for vegetables, dumplings, and more. To steam food, you need a pot or Instant Pot with a small amount of water on the bottom, a rack or basket (not necessary but helpful), and a cover. Cook time will vary based on the veggie or food.
*Veggies can also be steamed in the microwave. See below for some microwave options.
Steaming is generally considered healthier in comparison to pan-frying or deep frying because it doesn't require any oil which reduces the amount of calories in the dish. Based on studies, steaming food preserves more of its natural vitamins and minerals. However, if food is overcooked it can actually lose some of its nutritional quality so make sure to steam for the directed time.
It can be faster to steam vegetables compared to roasting or pan frying depending on the quantity you are cooking. Generally steaming is faster than boiling because it requires less water (so less time waiting for it to boil).
A steamer basket is helpful, but not necessary. You can also steam vegetables in a covered pot with a few inches of boiling water, or even in the microwave with a microwave-safe dish and some water. You can also use an Instant Pot (see below).
Yes, the Instant Pot is great for steaming! It has a steaming function and you can use the steaming rack that comes with the Instant Pot to elevate the food above the water and allow the steam to cook it. Simply add water to the Instant Pot, place the food on the steaming rack, close the lid, and set the timer according to the cooking instructions for the specific food you are making.
- Quick FAQ
- Vegetable Steamer Recipes
- 1. Easy Microwave Steamed Broccoli
- 2. Perfect Instant Pot Steamed Potatoes
- 3. How to Steam Frozen Vegetables
- 4. Easy Instant Pot Steamed Cauliflower
- 5. How to Steam Carrots
- 6. Microwave Steamed Spaghetti Squash
- 7. Steamed Swiss Chard
- 8. Steamed Pak Choi with Ginger Dressing
- 9. Truffle Marinated Asparagus
- 10. Easy Sesame Broccoli with Garlic
- 11. Frozen Peas in the Instant Pot
- 12. Instant Pot Green Beans with Garlic
- Vegan Steamer Main Meals
- 13.Edamame Dumplings
- 14. Easy Vegan Momos
- 15. Easy Seitan Recipe
- 16. Vegetarian Steamed Dumplings
- 17. Vegan Tamales
- 18. Steamed Bao Buns (Without a Bamboo Steamer)
- 19. Tofu Crystal Dumplings
- 20. Instant Pot Bao Buns (3 Ways)
- 21. Juicy Vegan Seitan Steak
- Don't Stop here! Try out some more delicious vegan recipes: